Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Theater Costumes


I learned to sew by apprenticing as a costume designer in our high school theater department. Blissfully, our director leaned more toward "provoking the Central Texan establishment" than "put on Oklahoma!", which meant a lot of fun experimentation for the creative teams behind the scenes. After apprenticing for the first few years, I became head of the department for the last two, during which time we put on A Midsummer Night's Dream, 1930's Romeo and Juliet, 1984 and Woyzeck. 


Here are some that came out rather well, largely thanks to awesome costume teams, moms, and the healing power of super glue.

My best friend Mia as Puck in Midsummer (pictured with Oberon above)

Fairies in Midsummer. That's my little sister painted blue. I hand glued a bunch of sequins all over her costume and it was cool.

Me as Titania and my buddy Tim as Bottom in Midsummer

Me as O'Brien and my friend Ashlynn as Julia in 1984

Torturing Tim in 1984
Ah, those were the days. Fun costumes, fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment