Monday, February 18, 2013

Black and White Ball 2012, or How to Score a Man-Friend



One year ago, on February 18th, Just People hosted their first Black and White ball in Portland. My bus date was my best friend Peter (continuing a tradition of bus dates that stretched back to our first meeting at the 2011 Masquerade Ball). I performed with the band, the two of us went back up to the band's Lodge for the afterparty, then we wound up trekking back to my house in the wee hours of the morning. The next day we smooched. I think the general sentiment among all our friends was less "Yay!" and more "FINALLY. Dear God." 

So, how does one capture the fancy of a young man? In my vast experience, it is best to start with a top hat.


Most of this particular costume was thrifted from one of Portland's many fantastic recycled clothing stores. I believe I got the top hat from Crossroads Exchange on NW 23rd, and the velvet dress was likely obtained at the Buffalo Exchange on SE Hawthorne. Clip-on earrings (my ears aren't pierced), fabric rose (clipped to the band of the hat) and fingerless gloves were all from Claire's; I've found that they have a surprisingly good selection of (cheap) clip-on earrings. I also found a rather lovely pair of thigh-high stockings with little white ribbons at the top (so that I would at least have some semblance of "white" in the outfit). According to reports, it was glimpses of these little white ribbons that might have pushed the whole relationship into the "go" zone.


A memorable night in so many ways. If only it were acceptable for a lady to wear a top hat every day of the year!

Many thanks to Kyer Photography for these awesome snaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment