Saturday, February 2, 2013

Romeo Jacket: The Inspiration


This is going to be the first "track the project" on this enterprise. After Peter's leather jacket made such a great hit at Masquerade, I've sort of been jonesing to make him another one in black. After all, every rock star needs a little color variety, right? Right.

And don't tell Peter or anything, but I've been really wanting to try and make a boy jacket along these lines for an extremely long time. The basic inspiration comes from Leonard Whiting's wardrobe in Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet. For those of you who haven't seen it, go see it. Right now. I am not joking. I started watching this movie when I was very little, so I'm pretty sure that some of my attraction to this type of jacket is lodged way down deep in my little mini-Bailey psyche. But this jacket, a shell-style, heavily laced with thick straight-quilting is so sexy, so romantic and yet so masculine to me. I shall dress Peter up in this way, and it shall be good and all shall rejoice.




To sort of harden it up a bit, I'm going to make the outer vest-section out of black leather, with quilting at the collar and right by the zipper's edge. The top of the arm will be straight quilted as well, made from a thinner black suede material. The lower arms will be leather, featuring laces up the back (drawing back to an armor motif). I'll lace it up the back with grommet tape and then feature a little of the cross-lacing across the chest as featured in the black Romeo jacket.


I'm going for tough, yet romantic. Perfect combo in any man, amiright, ladies? I'll keep you posted with the progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment