Monday, February 25, 2013

Romeo Jacket: We Cut!


And now...the most exciting photo collection EVER TO HIT THIS BLOG!

But really, it is a day to celebrate. Cutting a pattern is always one of the most nail-bitingly stressful parts of starting a garment, especially if you're working from your own pattern. What if you run out? What if you accidentally clip something you shouldn't? How much is future Bailey going to be swearing at past Bailey while she's trying to fit all these mismatched seams together? Why can't I follow someone else's pattern like a normal person?

But as far as I can tell (knock on wood) I haven't screwed anything up quite yet. I measured Peter while he was here for his visit and basically forced him to stand still watching Project Runway while I duct taped newspaper to his chest hair. I consider this little ritual to be any and all compensation I require for making him awesome lady-magnet jackets.


As far as pattern material goes, you can't beat newspaper. My personal preference is the Portland Mercury, largely because the high volume of strip club ads per square inch of paper gives the old lady pasttime of sewing a jolt of much-needed sex appeal. I'm working with three fabrics for this particular jacket; black leather, a nice suede for the contrast and a wonderful soft thin lining (not shiny as I've done in the past) that's less slippery and hopefully will be easier to work with.

And now, I guess....I just have to sew the damn thing! Wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment