Sunday, February 3, 2013

Road to the Superbowl, Day Two


So the 49'ers lost. There was a lot of tension during our party, let me tell you; far more emotion than I was expecting. I even found myself yelling at the screen a couple of times. There were tears, emotions, Beyonce...pretty much everything you could ask for. What wasn't there at the end of the Superbowl? These wings, that's what.

Pok Pok is an astoundingly successful Vietnamese fusion restaurant back in my homeland of Portland. So popular, in fact, that they opened up a neighboring bar just to handle some of the massive overflow from their restaurant. I was introduced to Pok Pok when I casually mentioned my love of wings to my friend Terra. Her eyes grew wide and her voice dropped down several registers and she said, "The best chicken wings I've ever had...were from Pok Pok." And so after a run up and down Mount Tabor, we jogged into Whiskey Soda Bar (the aforementioned overflow facility) and gobbled down a plateful of wings, still in our running gear. And boy, she wasn't kidding.


The key to these wings is the fish sauce marinade. I've heard a couple of complaints that the sauce can get too salty but I've never had any particular problem with it; if sodium is a particular worry of yours, opt for a lower-salt fish sauce. These take a little bit of prep, but they will make you the star of any party, regardless of whether you chose to back the winning team.

The recipe can be found here. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment