Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Classics: Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookie


I know, I know. How many oatmeal raisin cookies does the internet need? Well, dear reader, think of this not as another oatmeal raisin cookie, but as the oatmeal raisin cookie. While I'm as willing to dive into cocoa nibs and almond extract as the next adventurous baker, sometimes you really don't need to reinvent the wheel. These little beauties have served me well my entire life and I'd be hard-pressed to find a new recipe I like enough to replace them. And who knows? Maybe you don't have your own oatmeal raisin cookie recipe yet. If that's the case, start right here.


This recipe is refreshingly without frills or dramatic overtures; it's a simple and delectable medley of darkly sweet and satisfying. Once you've mastered this you could easily play around with substituting a different kind of chopped dried fruit for the raisins, adding molasses, nuts, etc...but like I said, I've been munching these things for nearly a quarter of a century and I'm not tired of them yet. Give me a Calvin and Hobbes, a rainy Sunday, a steaming cup of tea and a few of these cookies to dunk and you've got yourself one heck of a happy Bailey.





Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
(Makes about 40 cookies, depending how much batter you consume. In my case, it's a lot of batter.)

1 stick butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups oats

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter, add the sugar and continue to cream until well incorporated. Beat the egg in a separate bowl and incorporate the egg and vanilla into the butter/sugar mixture. Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon and salt into the butter/sugar mix and stir together just to incorporate. Pour in the oats and raisins, and mix. Drop by the teaspoonful onto an oiled baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment