Friday, October 25, 2013

Red Fall Coat

 

 While I still worked at Anthropologie I fell in love with a plaid fall coat we carried the year before last. I was on the fence about buying it and wound up not doing so--we've all had that one (man, chance, plaid fall coat) that got away, and this was the one. Since then I've thought about trying to find one used on Ebay or something, but they run about $198 and that's a little too steep for a crafty lady like me. I accepted the challenge and tried to construct one myself. Here is the result!


I found a beautiful red wool at JoAnn's (I had wanted plaid but nothing seemed quite right) and some crafty couponing and $75 later, I was ready to get started. I had to work off my own pattern, so I made a muslin mockup and then set to work. After the last few jackets I've made (out of leather), this wool was a dream to work with. It felt nice to really take my time and have to redo the hems and the cuffs and the sleeve fittings eight thousand times. I'm quite happy with the results!












No comments:

Post a Comment