Wednesday, January 30, 2013

One Man's Leather Jacket...



Who wears this mysteriously attractive leather jacket? Where is he from? Where is he going? Most importantly, does he appreciate the music of Kanye West? (Answer: no).

Deciding that this year's Masquerade Ball outfit was going to be Steampunk-y on my end was a pretty simple decision. But the thing that really clinched it was the prospect of making a really sweet-ass leather jacket for Peter to wear onstage--I mean, the guys were opening for Blackalicious at a Masquerade Ball. Come on. For those who don't know him, Peter is not a "ripped-tank, funnel-the-groupies-in-my-direction" sort of musician. He's the "get unjustifiably excited at the mention of a B7th-diminished chord" sort of musician. I am under the impression that for years his bandmates have tried (unsuccessfully) to get him into something other than a t-shirt or button-down onstage. And I, dear reader, have triumphed where lesser fellows have faltered. I created that leather jacket. And boy, did he look good.


There wasn't a direct inspiration for this particular jacket. The design came to me in a dream-vision; I knew I wanted it to have an almost armor-like quality, and to have buckles on the back and gold buttons to match the accents on the corset I'd be wearing.

 
I was at somewhat of a disadvantage as Peter, you know, lives across the country from me, but I measured him during a visit and then pieced it together as best I could without him being here. After sending the jacket to him, I had my good friend Katrina fit it and make alterations.

Pieces cut and pinned together:


Finished product (without sleeve extensions; Katrina added them later to accommodate Peter's unnaturally long arms):


Add to that a pretty sweet mask and the night of the show the compliments started rolling in. I had more than one guy admit to me (in a startled, yet surprisingly accepting way) that they had never found Peter more sexually attractive.


I hadn't been home or seen my friends in two months. The best part about that night was just seeing face after face burst into smiles and hugs and welcome-homes. My corset fit. The band sounded amazing. My friends were beautiful. And Peter?


Well, he seemed pretty happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment